Friday, October 1, 2010

Pumpkins !

Well until the flood today there was a hint of fall in the air and once again I found myself at SIW Vegies hunting through an amazing assortment of pumpkins and gourds. I did a little homework - the name Pumpkin came from the Greek word for large melon "Pepon" which was changed by the french to "pompon", then changed again by the English to "Pumpion" and eventually to the American "Pumpkin". The Native Americans used them centuries before America was settled by the Pilgrims not only as a staple in their diet but also for weaving dried strips into mats.  (And you all know how much I love the Native Americans!) At any rate I bought several varieties of Pumpkin to "Fall-up" my home. Thought I'd share a few pics. Enjoy !
Peanut Pumpkin

Traditional Orange Pumpkin

White Pumpkin

Queensland Blue Pumpkin

Pumpkins with Gooseneck Gourd

With the mini's !

No comments:

Post a Comment