Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Happy Birthday Julia

Well today would have been Julia Child's 100th birthday. WOW. Many things come to mind when I think of Julia Child. Of course Meryl Streep played her beautifully in the movie Julie and Julia , the movie gave many of us a glimpse into her personal life, her love affair with Paul Child, her years struggling for acceptance in the male dominated french cooking world, and finally her triumph in the publishing world. May of us too remember with fondness the skits on Saturday Night Live where Dan Ackroyd played a lushed up version of Julia and severed at least one finger while trying to prepare his comedic meal ! Then of course the classic tv Julia with her dear friend Jacques Pepin preparing wonderful meals while sipping wine and even older footage of Julia wielding a cleaver to butcher a chicken. Fond memories. Will my children have such memories of me in the kitchen. Who knows, I hope so. In tribute to Julia I made myself a meal this evening including her classic cheese souffle. As I imagined it turned out just right due to her exacting directions. Sometime this week remember Julia and get in the kitchen to create memories of your own !
Finished product, I was out of foil so I chose a larger souffle dish for no run over.

Buttered Souffle dish

Gruyere Cheese, I also added parmesan and cheddar, save the rind for making soup !

buttered baking dish sprinkled with parmesan so souffle doesn't stick to sides of dish

Making the roux, butter, flour, salt, pepper, paprika

Roux just turning tan

roux with hot milk, egg yolks and cheese added off the flame

getting ready to add the egg whites, add 1/4 and stir in then fold the remaining whites into mixture

folding the remaining whites into  cheese mixture

Ready for the oven

finished
diggin in !

The recipe can be found in Julia Child's Way to Cook, published by Knopf, recipe appears on pages 72 -73 my only addition was more cheese. enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment